Psalms

Proverbs 16:9

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Psalm 4:4
Stand in awe; commune with your own heart, and be still.



Saturday, March 11, 2017

Lower Suwannee Nature Drive, NWR

Just north of my campground is the Lower Suwannee National Wildlife Refuge with many access places. This morning I wanted to check out the 9-mile Nature Drive.
Unfortunately I had limited time to spend because I had a reservation for a boat tour. 
I didn't realize the drive had several side roads leading to more features, so I missed a lot. 
If I have time, I will return and do this again. Today I limited myself to the main loop. 
 Pretty drive on hard-packed dirt road. 15 mph is about right.
I did take the first turn off to check out a potential kayak launch site. 

Nice calm water in McCormick Creek. 
Next stop was a viewing platform overlooking a pond.
The pond looking left... 
Same pond looking right. What did it yield? 
A gator... 
A Little Blue Heron and a juvenile White Ibis,
And another small gator. 
I passed more ponds, and roads to other ponds, but I didn't stop at them. 
I did stop and spend some time at this blooming thistle which was attracting pollinators. 




Another swampy area...nothing caught my eye.
Water Irises...very pretty. 
The refuge headquarters is just another mile up the road. I'll go there first next time. There is a lot to do in the refuge...trails, scenic drives, kayaking, bird-watching, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment